Wednesday, February 14, 2001

My Apologies to Art Garfunkel

Anyone who is fairly familiar with my interests will no doubt find it strikingly odd that I should choose a movie in which Art Garfunkel was involved to stand as the worst Valentine film I can think of. There are others, I am sure, but the irony is too good to let go here. My favorite singer, whose romantic ballads could sweep a girl off her feet, is also partly responsible for this film that I find so utterly un-romantic. I have thought about reviewing it for some time, but I have been too reluctant to plaster two stars on anything involving Garfunkel. I'm casting off my inhibitions now, and if Mr. Garfunkel ever would happen to read this, I apologize. I can only say that he is not the reason that this movie failed in my eyes.

Just the name of the movie, Carnal Knowledge, gives a pretty good idea of what the movie?s driving theme will be. The movie focuses on two men, whom we meet as college roommates in the 1940s. Sandy (Garfunkel) is a doe-eyed idealist, naive and clumsy around girls but searching for a meaningful relationship. Jonathan (Jack Nicholson) is world wise and rather vicious. His charm wins the ladies over, but his abrasiveness causes them to leave him.

The beginning of the film details Sandy's pursuit of Susan (Candace Bergen) and his eventual triumph. There are some really cute scenes here of Sandy trying to woo her and having no idea how to do it. Susan eventually takes pity on him and agrees to be with him, but soon afterwards she becomes involved with Jonathan. This is apparently the first truly satisfying relationship Jonathan has ever had. He actually enjoys talking to Susan and spending time with her. Sandy doesn't realize that Susan is doing double duty, and he never finds out because Jonathan isn't quite as big a rat as he appears. He breaks it off with Susan for Sandy's sake, and Sandy and Susan get married.

Well, now Jonathan's in a pickle, but we figure he'll find someone else in no time. Meanwhile, at least we know Sandy and Susan will live happily ever after...or do we? Unfortunately, this is not what happens. Several years down the line, we see Sandy complaining to Jonathan about his unfulfilling romantic life with his wife. Eventually Sandy stops mentioning her, and next time we see him he?s with someone else. Jonathan, meanwhile, finds a new flame in Bobbie, a role for which Ann-Margret received an Academy Award nomination. Their life together begins happily, but it soon deteriorates. He is never around, and when he is, he?s abusive. The once vivacious and beautiful Bobbie spends her days sleeping and drunk.

The film progresses. and Jonathan and Sandy grow older and older and still find no satisfaction. Jonathan's attitude seems to have influenced the initially guileless Sandy, and he comes more and more to expect from his relationships something which cannot be attained. Jonathan, meanwhile, drives Bobbie to a suicide attempt and is guilted into marrying her, but he is still miserable, and the movie ends with him at a sex therapist.

This is a movie about two old friends who helped ruin each other's lives. It is more about the attitudes of certain men towards intimacy, and how both extremes are ultimately unsuccessful. Nichols has taken the aimlessness which he sought to portray in The Graduate and taken it one step further. Obviously he was trying to make a point, but if I was slightly befuddled by The Graduate, I found Carnal Knowledge downright baffling. The story becomes confused and unclear after the friends leave college. Susan simply disappears and we never see any mention of her again except when Jonathan accidentally includes her picture in a slideshow of women he has slept with.

This is definitely not a children's movie. There is quite a bit of nudity, for rather obvious purposes. The language is filthy. Probably half the dialogue would be blocked out by the Epinions censors! There is some violence, with Jonathan as the perpetrator. These same things added to my discomfort with the film. It's a terribly depressing movie; it would certainly put a damper on a romantic Valentine's Day evening. And it simply lacks the congruity that I seek in a film. I really have no complaints about the acting. I think all four major characters were portrayed well by their actors. But I thought the script didn't give them much to work with, at least after the college segment. If you're an avid fan of one of the people involved (that was why I saw it), it's worth it to rent it just to say that you saw it. But I wouldn't set my hopes too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment