Friday, February 23, 2001

Gave Me the Shivers!

I was never too interested in Star Wars when I was growing up, and The Empire Strikes Back is the reason. We caught part of it on TV one time when I was pretty little, probably six or seven years old. All I remember from that initial viewing was the image that would haunt me for days. Han being led to the chamber in which he would be frozen. Leia proclaiming, "I love you," and Han replying, "I know." (I recall my dad making a remark something to the effect of "nice guy!" But I noted later that he was simply reciprocating her actions from a previous incident.) Then the procedure was performed, and Han came out in a block of frozen carbonite. In my young mind, that picture of the distorted mold of his face protruding from the ice was one of the most disturbing images I could imagine. I left the room and wanted nothing more to do with Star Wars.

But I finally got over it, and taken in context with the rest of the trilogy, particularly The Return of the Jedi, this scene has lost most of its horror for me. Still, I can't help but shiver when I recall the first time I saw his frozen form.

But putting that aside, The Empire Strikes Back is a great second installment to the Star Wars series. It begins on a harsh, arctic planet, where Luke is stranded with his beast of burden, a large, thick-furred creature similar in appearance to a kangaroo. Han, who had planned to fly the coop, flies to the surface to rescue his young friend. Shortly thereafter, one of my very favorite lines in the entire trilogy is spoken. Han accuses Leia of causing the extenuating circumstances that are preventing him from leaving the base. Infuriated, she throws him a first-class insult. "Why, you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking...nerf-herder!" To which he replies, "Hey, who you callin' scruffy-looking?"

Once Luke has healed from his injuries, it's time for him to meet Yoda (Frank Oz), whose level of Jedi mastery far eclipses that of Obi-Wan Kenobi, who died fighting Darth Vader. The swampy planet where Yoda resides is full of unknown dangers, and Luke and R2-D2 have a couple of serious scares before their meeting with the endearing Yoda, which comes about in a most amusing fashion.

In this movie, a dramatic turn of events occurs when Luke confronts the dreaded Vader, who utters the famous words, "Luke, I am your father." This middle chapter ends on a note of uncertainly, as opposed to the the triumphant ending of the first. Luke must learn the truth of his origins and reconcile himself with that truth, no matter how unpleasant it may be. The group of faithful friends must be separated, but the stage is set for a breath-taking resolution in my favorite of the three movies, The Return of the Jedi.

No comments:

Post a Comment