Wednesday, May 15, 2013

iSteve Offers a Humorous Look at Two Fascinating Steves

One of the perks of finding a movie or television series I really love is that it provides an entry point to countless other movies and series through its actors. My favorite series is LOST, which is rich and diverse enough in characters and their histories that there are about a hundred actors I can see in another setting and instantly identify them. Smaller is the list of LOST actors I actively seek out, and at the top of that list is Jorge Garcia, who played the expansively compassionate Hurley.

I have delighted in Garcia’s post-LOST appearances on How I Met Your Mother, Alcatraz and Once Upon a Time, a series whose LOST connections are almost too numerous to count, but until last month, the only movies I had seen him in were several years old. If it weren’t for his involvement, I don’t know how long it would have taken me to hear about iSteve, the Ryan Perez-directed movie that spoofs the life of Steve Jobs, but thanks to a Facebook tip-off, I was able to watch it within days of its being released on the website Funny or Die.

Given that my dad spent over three decades teaching computer science at the college level, I had some interest in and knowledge of the rocky path that Steve Jobs followed to techie superstardom, particularly since accounts of his life were so prevalent after his death in 2011. Those stories usually mentioned Steve Wozniak, painting him as a quieter, humbler man whose computer genius may have exceeded that of Jobs. When I saw him at a motivational seminar last summer, I was impressed with his message and his cheerful attitude, and I’ve remained especially drawn to his side of the story.

iSteve is primarily the tale of Jobs, which he narrates as part of a presentation in a venue not revealed until the film ends. However, it is also the story of Wozniak, and in many ways, it is a greater tribute to his perseverance and devotion. Justin Long plays the charismatic Jobs, who always manages to bounce back after even the most crushing defeats, while Garcia is the ever-faithful Wozniak, who tinkers with computers for the sheer love of it and follows Jobs out of loyalty even when his friend barely seems to acknowledge his existence.

The movie is classified as a spoof, so it becomes difficult sometimes to extract the threads of fact from the outright fabrications. However, the general trajectory of Jobs’ career can be found in this film, and the dynamics of his friendship with Wozniak seem to reflect much of what I have read about them. Other aspects, such as a longstanding flirtation between Jobs and Melinda Gates (Michaela Watkins), seem to have no basis in reality.

Given Long’s breakout role as the hip young Mac opposite a schlubby PC in a popular, long-running series of Apple ads, the very fact that he is playing Jobs feels amusingly appropriate. Meanwhile, the cuddly brand of geekery Garcia expressed so well as Hurley feels perfectly at home in Wozniak. Beyond these two familiar faces, the only cast member I recognized was Big Bang Theory’s John Ross Bowie as rival John Sculley, though several characters are prominent public figures, particularly Bill Gates (James Urbaniak).

As comedies go, I would say that iSteve is fairly understated. There were times I laughed aloud, but most of the action was pretty straightforward with just a quirky touch here and there. However, I found it very accessible and less dry than many biopics tend to be. My boyfriend Will agreed to watch it with me, expecting to be bored, and instead enjoyed it from beginning to end. It helps that it’s a fast-moving film that clocks in at just over an hour. There’s a bit of foul language and lewdness, but for the most part, it’s a reasonably clean movie that encourages interest in two great innovators and the tug-of-war that often occurs between entrepreneurship and friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment