Friday, November 23, 2012

Christmas with Scotty McCreery is Cozy Indeed

Last year, I got more excited about American Idol than I have in years. That was because of Scotty McCreery, the sweet-mannered teen with a deep, old-fashioned country voice who wound up taking the crown. I enjoyed his debut album last fall, and I was thrilled to find out that he had a Christmas album out this year. As I expected, I found Christmas With Scotty McCreery to be a delight.

McCreery includes a good mix of the sacred and secular. Among the more lightweight tracks are the two-minute-long, fiddle- and piano-heavy Let It Snow; the bluesy Jingle Bells; the fast-paced, electric guitar-backed Holly Jolly Christmas; and the jazzy, piano-driven Winter Wonderland. These are fun, lively and ideal for clapping or even dancing along. So is the less familiar Santa Claus Is Back in Town, a rockin’, bluesy Elvis cover for which he adopts a different tone in imitation of the King of Rock and Roll.

On the solemn end of things is the reverent The First Noel, which is backed by acoustic guitar and occasional vocal harmonies and is marvelously mellow; Mary Did You Know?, a sincere if slightly too fast-paced rendition of this thoughtful examination of Mary; the leisurely The Christmas Song; and the nearly five-minute-long O Holy Night, which is very sedate and is augmented by the presence of the harp, not to mention my favorite, often-omitted verse.

Happily, this album also includes two originals. Christmas in Heaven, a lovely duet with Jenifer Wrinkle, is written from the perspective of someone recently bereaved who is observing the sights and sounds of the season and wondering what the departed loved one is experiencing. A gentle song backed by acoustic guitar, this would work well alongside Ryan Kelly’s Not Far Apart, which takes the perspective of the one in Heaven.

While that track is very sweet, I prefer Christmas Comin’ Round Again a peppy four-minute-long song about the tendency of Christmas to inspire reconciliation. With its heartfelt harmonies and its array of instruments including mandolin, accordion and tambourine, it’s a joy to listen to, and its point that “It’s time to let go and let the love in,” exemplified by several anecdotes about mended fences, is well taken.

I’ll admit I’m a little prejudiced when it comes to Scotty McCreery, as he’s one of those singers whose voice just melts me after a couple of notes. I think it’s clear, though, that this is a young man with a bright musical future, and I’m glad he didn’t dilly-dally in putting out his first Christmas album. I’d be happy to invite that low voice and bright spirit onto my stereo anytime, especially during this festive season.

No comments:

Post a Comment