Friday, August 24, 2012

Derek Jacobi Leads a Masterful Cast in I, Claudius

When I paid a visit to my boyfriend Will’s house earlier this month, he suggested that we make our way through the miniseries I, Claudius while I was there. He had seen it before; I hadn’t, and while I’m not as much of a history buff as he is, I was up for it, especially once I realized the title character was played by Derek Jacobi, a classically trained British actor I first encountered in a memorable episode of Frasier.

Jacobi serves as the wizened narrator whose comments bookend most of the episodes, while we see him in various younger forms in the flashbacks that make up most of the story. The nearly 11-hour-long miniseries covers a span of about 80 years during the Roman Empire of about two millennia ago. We see the reigns of austere Augustus (Brian Blessed), bitter Tiberius (George Baker), crazed Caligula (John Hurt) and finally gentle Claudius, the stammering, twitching, limping fellow who survives decades of carnage by letting everyone think he’s a simpleton. It’s a masterful performance of a character who seems out of step with his violent time, a wise scholar deeply in touch with his emotions and committed to a family that barely notices him.

The cast is outstanding in all respects, as is the screenplay by Jack Pulman, who adapted the Robert Graves novels I, Claudius and Claudius the God for the screen. While the dialogue has a feel of antiquity about it, it also crackles with wit, and each part of the miniseries has moments that are laugh-aloud funny. Of course, this is far from a comedy, and I found myself grateful that Will had watched it first, since he could tell me just when I ought to avert my eyes and usually warned me ahead of time precisely what sort of unpleasantness would follow. While much of the violence occurs off-screen, there are still plenty of moments that I would consider too grotesque for sensitive eyes.

Because Claudius is so lovable, not to mention the one character you know is going to stick around until the final installment, he is an anchor in the midst of the madness that often surrounds him. Many of the characters are sympathetic at one point or another, but most are also conniving or cruel. The most methodically murderous one of the lot is Augustus’s wife Livia (Sian Phillips), who subtly and patiently plots to remove any and all obstacles that lie between her son Tiberius and the throne. While her actions are largely despicable, Phillips is fascinating to watch in the role, and she and Augustus, the long-lived, rather curmudgeonly Caesar who is my second-favorite character in the series, have some wonderfully playful scenes together.

Blessed is largely endearing as Augustus, who comes across as a pretty decent fellow, all things considered. While he lives to a much riper age than most of the characters in the miniseries, he is the one I missed the most after his departure, and he and Tiberius both come across as extremely hen-pecked by Livia. The most absurd of the four emperors is Caligula, and Hurt seems to revel in his madness as he turns the palace into a den of debauchery and orders executions for nonexistent crimes. Even before assuming the throne, his cold heart and depraved pursuits are chilling, but ultimate power amplifies his beady-eyed insanity.

While I was unfamiliar with many of the actors in the uniformly excellent cast, it was a treat to see some I recognized from later films. My Star Trek geekery and Lord of the Rings fandom were both satisfied by the presence of Patrick Stewart as Tiberius’s ambitious right-hand man Sejanus and John Rhys-Davies as Macro, who helps drive one of the most stomach-turning scenes in the miniseries. I also found it very interesting to see the Biblical Herod Agrippa (James Faulkner) from a different perspective as the worldly but affectionate longtime friend of Claudius.

While I couldn’t say just how accurate this miniseries is, anyone who has an interest in ancient Roman history would most likely enjoy this intricate tale directed by Herbert Wise. Those with a weak stomach should take warning that poisonings, stabbings and outright slaughter are frequent occurrences, and it’s also worth mentioning that there are some pretty steamy scenes, particularly the seedy exploits of Caligula and of Claudius’s libidinous young wife Messalina (Sheila White). I would not recommend this to anyone younger than high school, but it could be a great means of getting older teenagers excited about history.

As for me, while I looked away multiple times, I found I, Claudius a thoroughly rewarding venture that showcases some of the shining stars of British stage and screen, particularly Blessed and Jacobi, and gives me an instant reference point when I hear someone suggest that the world has never been as violent or immoral as it is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment