Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dennis Quaid Brings Complexity to the 2011 Remake of Footloose

I am a child of the 80s, and I like to think that I’m pretty up on the pop culture of that decade, particularly when it comes to movies. However, perhaps in part because of my two left feet, I never latched onto either Dirty Dancing or Footloose. I heard some of the music, of course, and I saw clips on television specials, but that’s always been one little chunk of quintessential 80s that I’ve been missing. While I still need to remedy that one of these days, I did see the remake of Footloose recently. Maybe my reaction to it would have been different if I’d grown up with the original, but I quite enjoyed it.

The movie revolves around Ren McCormack (Kenny Wormald), a free-thinking Bostonian who has just moved to a tiny Southern town in the wake of his mother’s death. He finds welcome with his supportive uncle Wes (Ray McKinnon), warm-hearted aunt Lulu (Kim Dickens) and adoring little cousins Amy (Maggie Elizabeth Jones) and Sarah (Mary-Charles Jones). The rest of the town is a bit slower to accept him, however. He’s the new kid on the block, so it’s easy to accuse him of stirring up trouble, though aside from a little fast driving and loud music, he’s a pretty upstanding young man.

Still, he feels stifled by all the rules in a community that has turned to legalism for comfort in the wake of a terrible tragedy. After the deaths of several teens, including the son of local pastor Shaw Moore (Dennis Quaid), in a car accident on the way home from a dance, the town council enacted a ban on public dancing, and Ren becomes determined to overturn it. His attraction to the reverend’s daughter Ariel (Julianne Hough), who is the greater rabble-rouser by far, does nothing to endear him to this clergyman who still hasn’t fully processed the loss that his family suffered.

From the moment that Ren turns up in town and gets rushed by his exuberant cousins, he pretty much won me over. He’s got a bit of a rebellious streak, but he’s a really likable guy. Ariel takes a little longer to warm to, since she seems to have chosen a very self-destructive path and spends the early part of the movie pushing away everyone who really cares about her. Ultimately, however, she becomes easy to sympathize with as well.

On the other hand, while Rev. Moore is set up as the primary antagonist, this certainly is not a cookie-cutter situation in which the restrictive establishment is Evil. Indeed, he is a complex man whose deep faith and love for his family and parishioners informs everything he does, making his actions understandable even when they are frustrating. Quaid’s nuanced performance actually makes Shaw my favorite character in the movie save Willard (Miles Teller), the somewhat dopey local teen who quickly becomes Ren’s best friend. A regular source of comic relief throughout the movie, he particularly tickled my funny bone in the scene in which the two meet.

I’m sure that it was a bit superfluous to remake this movie less than three decades after it first hit theaters, but writer-director Craig Brewer brought a deep affection for the original to the project, and I would imagine that many contemporary teens who saw the remake might want to check out the 1983 version as well. Not having seen it, I can’t draw comparisons, but as a stand-alone movie, the new edition of Footloose entertains and invites thoughtful discussion about the balance between safety and freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment