Monday, October 31, 2011

Get Acquainted With the Ghosts of Disney World's Haunted Mansion

Earlier this year, I joined my aunt, uncle and cousin on a trip to Florida that included Universal and Disney World. We spent one full day and one evening in the Magic Kingdom, where I went into a bit of sensory overload at a place I’d wanted to visit all my life. There was too much to take in on even two trips, but one ride I definitely experienced to the fullest was the Haunted Mansion, which we rode three times – the first time because it was on the Must List, the second and third because the line was so short when we happened by and the ride was just so much fun.

Our first time around, there was a bit of a wait, partly because we opted to go the long way around in line, which allowed us to see more of the grounds. The spooky but comical statues erected outside the mansion itself are a lot of fun and present plenty of photo opportunities. I especially liked the ornate organ that we encountered about halfway through our wait. It was a leisurely walk, and we didn’t mind the wait because there was so much to see. On the other hand, it was nice to be able to get on the ride almost immediately by going the other route the second and third time.

The inside of the Mansion, like the movie it inspired, is creepy but in a purely fun way. I don’t think any guests but very young children are likely to find it truly frightening. The first portion of the ride is walk-through as guests are ushered into a large room with portraits on the walls, which expand as the ghostly narrator speaks. The paintings are comical, with each deceased person having a strong personality that comes across in two-dimensional form. The host’s voice is suitably spooky, and with the room changing and the lights turning off and on, I’m pretty sure I jumped a bit while I was standing there, and I know I grabbed onto my aunt’s hand when the room went pitch-dark, at least the first time.

It’s after this point that we loaded up into the buggies and got to the riding portion of the ride, which is full of intricate displays of ghosts engaged in all sorts of different activities. There are so many displays that it’s hard to see everything on the first go-round. Bibliophile that I am, I especially liked the ghostly library, and the ballroom where so many of the ghosts converge for some musical revelry is the most raucous part of the ride. Tombstones, candelabras and other eerie props help to set the mood. Parts of it put me in mind of my hometown park’s dark ride, the Whacky Shack, but the Haunted Mansion is much more sophisticated, and it is character-centric rather than relying mostly on loud noises and disorienting lighting effects. There’s a bit of twisting and turning, but nothing likely to cause much trouble for the sensitive rider. I’m prone to motion sickness, and I didn’t have any problems.

When my mom went to Disney World on a choir trip in the 1970s, this was one of the only rides she had a chance to go on, and she sang its praises. Having finally gotten a chance to ride it for myself, I have to agree that it’s top-notch, and the scary factor is outweighed by the fun factor. I went in March, and it felt like I was getting a foretaste of Halloween. I would imagine that the Haunted Mansion is particularly popular with guests at the park today, but no matter what time of year it is, this ghostly ride is grand and shouldn’t be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment