Monday, August 1, 2011

See the Light at Night With the Tangled Glimmer 'n' Glow Birthday Lantern

Two days before Thanksgiving last year, I saw Tangled, Disney’s first CGI fairy tale. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the animation style, but I was pleased to find that the movie still felt fully immersed in Disney enchantment and that the depth of animation only enhanced it. And then there was the lantern scene. I don’t think a single scene in a movie has so engrossed me since the Circle of Life trailer for The Lion King made my jaw drop. I’d enjoyed the movie up until that point, loving the humor, the action, the flirtation, the music, the great little nods to other classics… But then came the moment for which Rapunzel had waited the entire movie – indeed, her entire life. I wasn’t prepared for how thoroughly it would take my breath away.

In the scene, we witness the annual ritual of the king and queen leading their subjects in a ceremony in remembrance of the daughter who vanished from her crib as an infant. Flynn, Rapunzel’s traveling companion who isn’t quite the rapscallion he claims to be, doesn’t know that she is the lost princess, and neither does she, but he understands how much it means to her to be able to see these lanterns up close, so he secures a boat and rows her out to the middle of the lake over which the hundreds of lanterns are released. On a purely visual level, the spectacle of the lanterns is utterly gorgeous and could not have been so immersive or effective in traditional hand-drawn form. The scene absolutely glows, and like Rapunzel, whose eyes are as big as saucers, the audience can barely take it all in.

Then there’s the significance to the story. It’s a big moment for Rapunzel because she is achieving a lifelong dream and taking a step toward really understanding who she is. In the quiet moment before the ceremony begins, we witness the abiding love the king and queen still have for their daughter and understand that a reunion is imminent. This is emphasized nicely when we see a lantern come to her, and she lightly lifts it into the air; as it rises, it becomes apparent by the sun symbol upon it that this was the very lantern that her parents released. It’s about her finding herself.

But at the same time, Flynn is finding himself too, and as they come to a deeper understanding of themselves, each realizes how integral the other has been to developing that awareness. This, too, is beautifully symbolized as they simultaneously release a pair of lanterns and we watch them gradually rise, circling each other and remaining close together and clearly discernible amongst the multitude of surrounding lights on the water until they vanish into the distance.

While the song has been criticized for its similarities to A Whole New World, I See the Light impacted me much more, perhaps in part because Rapunzel and Flynn had been through more together at that point than Jasmine and Aladdin had. I can’t remember the last time I had such a strong reaction to a song in a film. For me, every element of the scene came together to create a movie moment of such perfection I don’t think I’ll ever forget the exact circumstances in which I saw it for the first time.

Given my great attachment to that scene, I kept an eye out for tie-in merchandise that somehow incorporated it, and several months later, I finally spotted something: the Glimmer ‘n’ Glow Birthday Lantern, an attractive plastic lantern that works as a musical projector. The plastic lantern is pale purple on the top and bottom, with a dark purple handle and a dark purple strip toward the bottom with gold accents. It’s on this strip that you will find the golden button, the circle in the middle of a sun, and when you press it, the music plays and the lantern lights up with a bit of a disco ball effect as little white and yellow balls zoom around the interior. The main portion of the lantern is a panoramic still from the scene, with lanterns emanating from the castle and moving out over the water. On the back, we see the castle by itself, while on the front, an image of Rapunzel and Flynn is superimposed so that the castle is in the background.

That’s my first issue with the lantern. Instead of showing the two of them in the rowboat, or at least the two of them in a genuinely romantic moment, we have Rapunzel fixing Flynn with a squinty stare that seems to say, “Don’t try anything, buster; I’ve got a frying pan, and I’m not afraid to use it.” Yes, she’s smiling, and their hands are touching; you might say it’s a flirtatious smile, but there’s just a touch too much aggression there to fit the moment. I’m glad the two of them are there; I just would have liked something that captured the feelings of wonder and contentment so prevalent in the scene.

The lantern is designed so that you can set it down flat or hang it somewhere, and there are little holes in the top portion so that the light can peek through. If you really want to see it, though, you need to remove the top portion of the lantern, leaving you just the base. To do this, you have to twist to the right and lift it off, which is fairly easy, though getting it back on again is a bit trickier. Now you’re left with nothing but a clear dome covered in circles. Turn off the light – it really doesn’t work unless it’s genuinely dark, so you really have to wait until nighttime to get the effect – and press the button. Yellow and white light combines as the dome spins, creating a very pretty effect. On demo mode, this will only last a few seconds, but flip it to “on,” and it will project indefinitely (until the batteries run out).

The big disappointment here is that there is no way to mute the music. Now, don’t get me wrong; I adore the song. But all you’re getting here is one line of melody. It’s purely instrumental, starting off with a nice fairy tale flourish reminiscent of the “please turn the page” sounds that populated so many of those Disney book-and-record sets I had growing up. The music is pretty, but as it only corresponds to a quarter of the chorus – “And at last I see the light, and it’s like the fog has lifted” – you really don’t want to listen to that on a loop all night. Well, maybe some kids won’t mind; goodness knows most toddlers have a much higher tolerance for repetition than the rest of us. But hearing the same little snippet over and over and over and over strikes me as a good way to get sick of a tune that currently ties with Candle on the Water as my favorite Disney love song ever. I don’t want that to happen. Unfortunately, that means I can’t leave the projector on and fall asleep to the sight of lanterns cruising around my room. I think that would make an excellent night light…

The lantern comes with three AAA batteries included. I’ve had mine about four months, and my batteries haven’t worn out, though the sound is starting to get a bit fuzzy. I’ve read reviews of it online, and apparently replacing the batteries presents another problem because the lantern was made in China and the batteries there are slightly smaller. Evidently you can get around this by taking a screwdriver and stretching the springs out a bit so that they connect with the American batteries, but I haven’t tried it myself so I can’t speak from experience there.

I don’t regret buying the Glimmer ‘n’ Glow Birthday Lantern, but it certainly doesn’t live up to the wonder of that scene. It’s a nice reminder, but I hope I eventually run across something that is a more impressive representation of that iconic moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment