Friday, June 10, 2011

Mart Helps Trixie Solve a Hometown Mystery in The Secret of the Unseen Treasure

In January, I began reading the Trixie Belden series, written first by Julie Campbell and then by a number of ghostwriters using the pseudonym Kathryn Kenny. My library served me very well for the first fifteen volumes, but then I found I had to skip ahead until I get my hands on some of the later books myself, something I hope to do at the week-long city book sale that starts on Sunday. The first Trixie book I read out of order is the nineteenth, The Secret of the Unseen Treasure.

Fourteen-year-old sleuth Trixie Belden is an ordinary teenager, but she leads a pretty exciting life, especially in volumes 11 through 15 of the series. In each of these books, she embarks on a thrilling out-of-town adventure, along with her best friend, demure Honey Wheeler; her brothers Brian and Mart; Honey’s adopted brother Jim; and sometimes their neighbors Dan Mangan and Di Lynch. The last one I read was not only a lit geek’s delight, as they wandered through areas referenced by Mark Twain in his books, it featured perhaps the most harrowing encounter yet between the intrepid detectives and a nefarious criminal.

I took a bit of a break from the series for most of May as I poked my head in thrift shops to see if I could find any of the missing volumes, so when I returned to it, I found it rather refreshing to see Trixie and her friends enjoying some summer tranquility in their own hometown of Sleepyside. While the story lacks some of the excitement of their various vacations, they still find themselves with a puzzling situation before them, and side characters like Trixie’s parents and younger brother Bobby and Regan, who takes care of the Wheelers’ horses, have prominent roles in the story again.

In this book, summer vacation has just started, and that means having long days to spend with her friends and older brothers, who collectively refer to themselves as the Bob-Whites of the Glen. One thing they’ll be doing a lot of is exercising the Wheelers’ horses, and it’s one such trail ride that leads them directly into a mystery. As they approach the farm of elderly Mrs. Elliot, a shifty-looking man flees the scene, leaving behind the remnants of what looks like intended arson. Who would want to set fire to Mrs. Elliot’s property, and why? And could it have anything to do with the social security checks that recently failed to turn up in several Sleepyside mailboxes?

I like the fact that Unseen Treasure allows the Bob-Whites the freedom of summer vacation and the familiarity of home. Granted, the kids have responsibilities, ranging from camp counseling jobs to babysitting and household chores, but there’s still a lot of free time for fun stuff like horseback riding, picnicking and swimming. Of course, once Trixie realizes that there is a mystery afoot – and that solving it could save the livelihood of Mrs. Elliot, who is teetering dangerously close to bankruptcy – she wants to devote as much of her time to the case as possible, despite warnings from perpetually cantankerous police sergeant Molinson. She does find a more sympathetic listener in the form of Charles Hartman, a crusty retired cop who is probably my favorite new character in the book, but she and her friends have to do a lot of legwork on their own.

Trixie’s charitable intentions in this book make me smile, and it’s nice that all of the Bob-Whites have a hand in the story, though Di’s involvement is minimal. Mart, on the other hand, really has a chance to shine, showing a knack for photography and putting his botanical knowledge to work at the farm, which features a peculiar array of vegetation. He’s also his usual verbose self, and because he proves such an important member of Trixie’s sleuthing team this time around, he has even more opportunity than usual to show off his fancy vocabulary. “Indubitably,” “eschew,” “predilection,” “atrophied,” “soporific” and “syllogistics” are just a few extravagant words that he uses over the course of the book.

I’m not sure which Trixie book I will read next, but The Secret of the Unseen Treasure was an enjoyable way to dip my toes into the later portion of the series. While I’ve been warned about the inconsistent quality of the last 20-some books, I am still looking forward to finding more Trixie treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment