Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Visuals Soar But the Rest Drags in Legend of the Guardians

I'm a sucker for talking-animal movies, so when I saw advertisements for Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, based on the intermediate series about warrior owls, I was intrigued. I'd seen the books but had never read them, and I thought this might serve as a good introduction to that world. Now that I've watched it, my interest in the books has dwindled. Granted, it's generally not a good idea to judge a book by its film adaptation, and I do get the sense that this story would work better on paper. But I can't say the plot really grabbed me either.

Legend of the Guardians is a computer-animated movie directed by Zack Snyder and starring a host of voice actors from England, Australia and New Zealand. Some of them, like Helen Mirren, Hugo Weaving, David Wenham, Anthony LaPaglia and Sam Neill, are familiar to me; most aren't. All of the characters, aside from a peculiar snake who serves as a nursemaid to the family of Soren (Jim Sturgess), are owls, and all of them have unusual names, and all those accents sort of blended together for me and I had a rather hard time telling everyone apart. My favorite characters are Digger (Wenham) and Twilight (LaPaglia), who basically serve as comic relief, which is sorely needed in this dark and sometimes disturbing movie.

The animation, while perhaps not quite at a Pixar level, is very well done, particularly when it comes to the backgrounds. The enormous Tree of Ga'Hoole, where the legendary Guardians live, is breathtakingly gorgeous, and some of the scenes of the owls in flight are as well. There's a Tolkienish quality to the film, with the Guardians whom Soren seeks light-bathed, ethereal and reminiscent of the Elves. Meanwhile, the evil owls from whom the kidnapped Soren escapes reside in a stronghold reminding me of Saruman's fortress of Isengard. Here, the cruel Pure Ones, led by Metalbeak (Joel Edgerton) and Nyra (Mirren), forge weapons and build an army out of abducted owlings brainwashed into obedience.

It's a pretty basic quest story, with Soren, having been taken by the Pure Ones, making his escape with some help from the grizzled Grimble (Weaving), who assures him that the legends he's heard about the Guardians are true, that they really do exist and he must go to them for help before Metalbeak's rise to power is complete. Undertaking this mission involves a leap of faith, as Soren must decide whether to believe Grimble or his own brother, Kludd (Ryan Kwanten), who says it's a load of hogwash. But Kludd has chosen to ally himself with Nyra, and he and Soren never saw eye to eye anyway, so the budding hero makes his choice, laying the groundwork for a future showdown with his hard-hearted sibling, who later uses their little sister as a means of gaining greater rank within the Pure army.

It's a simple story, but I found it hard to stay engaged with it. My mind kept wandering, and the oppressive feel of the film didn't help. While there's nothing too graphic, the movie is certainly violent, and the depiction of the brainwashing of the young abductees is just plain creepy. It's dark, and frankly, it's also dull more often than not. At more than an hour and a half in length, it's on the long side for an animated film, and the length doesn't do it any favors. I also found the use of pop music rather incongruous and distracting (though I have to smile that one of the included songs is by Owl City).

I like the epic feel of the movie and the way it explores ideas about faith and about the boundaries between legend and reality. Parts of it are visually dazzling, and some of the banter between Digger and Twilight is pretty funny. The voice work is fine as well, with Weaving, Wenham, LaPaglia and a bone-chilling Mirren standing out the most. But I wouldn't watch it again, and if a sequel comes out, as the film's conclusion suggests may be the case, I think I'll give it a pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment