Friday, February 18, 2011

Rich Mullins Explores the Sublime and Mundane in Winds of Heaven, Stuff of Earth

I grew up Lutheran, and although my parents and I have always been active in our church, my exposure to artists who fall within the scope of Contemporary Christian Music has been rather limited. My musical upbringing consisted mostly of 60s and 70s folk-rock: John Denver, Simon and Garfunkel, Jim Croce, the Irish Rovers, Gordon Lightfoot, Peter Paul and Mary, Dan Fogelberg, Michael Martin Murphey… The list goes on. I’ve never found their music, at least most of it, inconsistent with Christianity, and some of their songs quite frankly feel like hymns, so I guess I never felt the need to gravitate away from that genre. But I have found myself drawn to some artists in the specifically Christian scene whose lyrical excellence and careful craftsmanship is matched only by their devotion to the God of whom they sing.

One of those singer-songwriters is Rich Mullins, a man of extraordinary depth and talent who tragically died in a car accident in 1997. Best known for praise standards like Awesome God and Step By Step, he wrote in a manner that always felt deeply personal but widely applicable. In Winds of Heaven, Stuff of Earth, released in 1988, one gets a good sense of his style and an introduction to two of his most well-known songs. Additionally, Michael W. Smith, a prominent Contemporary Christian artist in his own right, plays the piano here, so he has a major hand in my favorite of Mullins’ songs. While I would probably direct a first-time listener to one of his later albums, this still isn’t a bad place to start.

The Other Side of the World - A peppy guitar-driven song to start off the album. It begins with a chorus of children chanting in what sounds like an African language and incorporates percussion and synthesizers evoking that continent. It’s a song acknowledging that “it’s a small world, after all,” but still a big job to bridge those gaps. A rallying cry to share both faith and food with those in distant lands. “The other side of the world is not so far away, and the distance just dissolves into the love…”

With the Wonder - This one starts out hushed and reverent, and the quiet celebration of nature’s beauty reminds me of the weekends I spend with my family at Little Pine Valley in Central Pennsylvania. After the first verse, the percussion kicks in and the tempo picks up, and it becomes another track with a tone of exultation. It’s a song of thanks to God for the wonders of creation, which are reflected in the flurry of words he chooses to describe them. His poetic flourish is evident here, as is a sense that he feels even the most expansive lexicon would be insufficient to capture the majesty of what he sees. “It flutters and floats, it falls and it climbs, it spins and sputters and spurts, and You filled this world with wonders ‘round every turn…”

Awesome God - If you spent much time in a church in the late 1980s or 1990s, chances are that you heard this song. And once you’ve heard it, you’re unlikely to forget it; this one has a way of drilling down into your brain and never leaving. The chorus is repeated enough times that just one listen would probably do it, but this was a staple at my church for many years. We’d play the recording, and even more often, we’d only sing the chorus, complete with motions. For several years, it seemed that this was the hottest song in all of Christendom, and boy, did it catch fire! It really is a great tune, with its Gospel-flavored piano and earnest verses but mostly that chorus. Oh, that chorus. I’m an 80s child, and thanks in part to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, “awesome” is a word I always think of in association with that decade. It was a fun word, a laid-back word, a cool word. A word I might use to describe anything ranging from a Christmas present to a slice of pizza. Finding this word in a hymn was a little funny to me, but there was something encouraging about God being described in such hip, youthful language. Of course, it also served as a reminder that God is immeasurably more worthy of awe than the fast food I ate while watching TV after school. This song introduced me to Rich Mullins, and I’m very glad it did. “Our God is an awesome God. He reigns from Heaven above with wisdom, power and love. Our God is an awesome God!”

If I Stand - While Awesome God was the first of his songs I encountered, I didn’t become familiar with the man behind the song until a while later. When I did, this mellow masterpiece was the one that most captured my imagination, and though he has others that come close, it remains my favorite of his songs. Like With the Wonder, this is filled with expressions of the sense of wonder that nature inspires, along with the happiness to be found in human relationships. Coupled with the brilliantly melodic piano backing, the verses are breathtakingly beautiful. But it’s the chorus, with its palpable sense of yearning, that cements the song as my favorite, calling to mind the C. S. Lewis quote, "If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." This is the song I most associate with Rich Mullins, in part because, like Jim Croce’s Time in a Bottle, it feels so much more poignant in light of his early death. “If I stand, let me stand on the promise that You will pull me through, and if I can’t, let me fall on the grace that first brought me to You. And if I sing, let me sing for the joy that has born in me these songs, and if I weep, let it be as a man who is longing for his home.”

Home - This keyboard-driven song has a definite 80s feel to it. Musically, this song doesn’t grab me as much as many of the others, but the lyrics are a stirring testimonial of the trials of life, the challenges of faith and the glory of finishing the race. “What I’d have settled for, You’ve blown so far away. What You brought me to, I thought I could not reach. And I came so close to giving up, but You never did give up on me.”

Such a Thing As Glory - An upbeat song that points to there being something greater than what we see and experience every day. Like If I Stand, it makes me think of Plato and his cave, and the idea that we’re only catching glimpses of a grander reality. Some neat instrumentation adds to the impression of mystery, while the background vocals increase the sense of jubilation. “There is such a thing as glory, and there are hints of it everywhere. And the hints are overwhelming, and its scent is in the air.”

…And I Love You - Another uptempo song with a bit of a rock feel to it. This one is a celebration of the sacraments of baptism and communion and the feeling of closeness with God that results. “There’s a different kind of tear now in my eye, a response to a freer wind that’s blowing in a bigger sky.”

Ready For the Storm - I seem to be drawn to songs about navigating stormy weather, whether it’s figurative (Bridge Over Troubled Water), literal (Heartland) or both (Candle on the Water). This song - the only one on the album that Mullins didn’t have a hand in writing - fits in nicely with this tradition of songs, with a guitar and fiddle base that gives it a bit of the flavor of a Celtic sea shanty. A stirring track that speaks of a willingness to face life’s storms, knowing that God is in control. “The waves crash in the tide rolls out. It's an angry sea but there is no doubt that the lighthouse will keep shining out to warn a lonely sailor…”

One True Love - Another percussion-heavy song that feels pretty 80s to me. Mullins talks of no other love satisfying like God’s will and wanting to share that love with everybody. A little hard-rockin’ for me, but it’s got some great lines. “And I heard the words of a wise man. He said, ‘There’s only two ways you can go. One way can save your riches, and the other will save your soul.’”

How Can I Keep Myself From Singing - The title of this one calls to mind the old hymn How Can I Keep From Singing?, while the percussion gives a world music vibe to it, making the album come full circle. The song mostly consists of repetitions of “Hallelujah,” with the aid of several vocalists, giving the sense that this is a song sung by many people of faith throughout the world. “I feel my heart; my heart is beating. It has a rhythm strong and sure, and in the name that brought me healing, I pray for a healing of this world.”

A few of these songs feel a bit dated now, but on the whole, the album holds up very well, and I’d eagerly recommend it to anyone looking for well-crafted music that glorifies God. When I’m in the mood for music that offers insightful explorations of the Bible, I think first of Michael Card, but for delving into the daily struggles and rewards of faith, Mullins is the artist that springs to mind right away. What a shame he left us so soon; what a joy he left us such a legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment