Monday, August 16, 2010

No One Pulls Off An Orange-Peel Grin Like John Locke - Now In Bobblehead Form!

I hate to think that I have too many things in common with Dwight Schrute, the uber-eccentric beet farmer / assistant manager on The Office who seems to thrive on making his coworkers’ lives difficult, but I can come up with at least two odd interests that we share. We’re both fans of LOST, and we both have a peculiar fondness for bobbleheads. So while I have yet to see a character from my dearly departed favorite drama bobbing along on Dwight’s desk, I have to suspect that he would approve of the John Locke bobblehead just released from Bif Bang Pow!

John is the sixth LOST character to get the bobblehead treatment, and like his predecessors, he stands seven inches high. I’ve designated the piano as my bobblehead display area of choice, so to the left, I have the trio released in February, along with the shifty Ben Linus from last summer, and John and Claire stand apart from the others on the right. This feels fitting, considering that not only is John the only one of the bobblehead characters to have interacted much with Claire (save Hurley, who hasn‘t been released yet), he took a rather intense interest in her for about a season, serving as a protector for her and her baby, Aaron. That role came to be subverted in the sixth season, but as that’s not really John’s fault, I prefer not to dwell on that too much.

LOST is largely a character study, and very few characters underwent as many strange twists and turns as John. I find it interesting that while the other two bobbleheads in this second wave of 2010 depict characters in their season six states, this one takes us back to the very beginning of the show. John has always been a character who fascinated me more than most, so I knew I’d have to snag him for my collection no matter what he looked like, but I burst into delighted laughter the moment I saw what this bobblehead would look like.

John Locke, so expertly portrayed by the amazingly expressive Terry O’Quinn, has taken part in many of the show’s most iconic moments, but all these years later, one of my favorites remains the tiny scene from the epic pilot episode in which renegade Kate looks up from her distasteful task of swiping the boots off a fallen passenger to see John’s slowly widening smile. In his mouth is a slice of orange, with the orange peel facing out so that she sees only the peel instead of his teeth.

It’s a wonderful moment that reveals so much about John with a tiny gesture. First off, we see that he is resilient and self-sufficient, as he has procured an orange and neatly excised a slice with his knife, an instrument which will come to be strongly associated with him. Second, it shows that he has a sense of humor. While John is one of the most tragic characters in the series, many of his lines and gestures are subtly funny, especially as acted by O’Quinn. Despite his darker qualities and unfortunate past, John is one of the characters who most consistently makes me laugh.

At the same time, it establishes him as someone who tries to help and encourage others. Though he sometimes strays wildly from this role, season one finds him taking every opportunity he can to mentor his fellow castaways, some of whom react to him with as much disdain as Kate does in this scene. That’s largely because there’s just something very strange about John Locke. Most of the people around him sense that there’s something just a little off about him, and it’s hard to dispute that when he’s sporting a big orange grin and has a long scar running along the right side of his face, punctuated by his eye. Creases and wrinkles in his forehead and cheeks and around his eyes accentuate both his age and his joie de vivre.

I’m so glad that whoever designed this bobblehead chose this moment to capture. It’s quintessential John, and the figure brings that across perfectly. We’ve got John Locke, standing tall on a vaguely round base that looks like a patch of sand, grinning out at the world with a beneficent, albeit slightly crazed, smile. This is a John renewed, thrilled to finally find himself in a place that feels like home and to be freed of the painful restrictions so unfairly placed upon him. No matter how many times he stumbles in the episodes that follow, some hint of this euphoric beginning is always evident.

The words “John Locke” stand out in white with black trim along the front of the base, while “LOST” is written across the back. John wears shiny black shoes, or perhaps boots, with thick soles but no hint of laces. His pants are khaki, while his checked button-up shirt is pale blue. His left arm rests at his side, with his hand clutching the knife that he has just used. His right arm is bent at the elbow so that the orange he holds in his open palm rests right around the middle of his shirt. The skin tone on his arms and head is natural, if perhaps a bit on the light side; then again, I’ve grown used to seeing him tan from months out in the hot sun.

Because John is bald, his ears stand out much more prominently than those on any of the other bobbleheads. They seem to have a slightly Elven quality about them when I look at them from a distance, though upon close inspection they are more curved than pointed. Whatever their shape, they stick out usefully; just give one of them a little tap, and John’s head will start to jiggle.

John is the first character in this series to also have been a part of the McFarlane toy line that, sadly, ended prematurely a couple years ago. Those incredibly detailed figures also came with sound chips, and that spoiled me a bit. That said, it would be a little strange to hear John speaking when he clearly has his mouth full of fruit. Though he’s harder to come by these days, I do heartily recommend the McFarlane John Locke action figure for its intricate details, its poseability and its quotes from the show. I’m still amused whenever a push of a button causes a resounding Terry O’Quinn snarl of “DON’T EVER TELL ME WHAT I CAN’T DO! EVER!!”

I’m less impressed with what I’ve seen of the new action figure forthcoming from Bif Bang Pow! It’s not nearly as detailed, and the hinges look extremely clunky. What’s more, you have to buy him with Hurley, and though I would suspect that any big fan of the show wouldn’t mind that in theory, this Hurley is downright funny-looking. It makes me sad that these figures look so much less like their on-screen counterparts than the McFarlane figures, mostly because there’s a set featuring Jacob and his nemesis, as depicted in the opening scene of the season five finale. Those are two characters I’d love to have, but the resemblance just isn’t strong enough for me, especially when it comes to the Man in Black; if I could purchase Jacob separately, I might be seriously tempted to buy him.

All this is to say that while there are other versions of John available, one of which is well worth having, I still heartily recommend the Bif Bang Pow! bobblehead, which retails for $13 at Entertainment Earth or $15 at ABC’s LOST store. This is a fun and finely crafted figure capturing one of his most iconic scenes; of all the figures in the series thus far, I think it does the best job of giving us a specific character-revealing moment.

John Locke is a hardy fellow, but he’s certainly not invincible; by the same token, this resin figure may become cracked if you’re not careful with him. He does come in a large box with molded plastic so that he can be moved safely, and of course, you can keep him in the box at all times if you prefer, though given John’s long, ugly history with boxes both on and off the Island, this seems rather cruel. I’ll take my chances with keeping him on the piano, in easy sight of the kitchen. If anything ever mysteriously disappears from the fruit bowl, I know who my prime suspect will be...

No comments:

Post a Comment