Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Mini Chicken N' Egg Keychain Does Not Represent Hugo or LOST Well

Last week, I received an e-mail from ABC’s LOST store informing me that anyone who purchased an item would, while supplies last, receive a free Mr. Cluck’s keychain. For those who haven’t watched LOST, this is the name of the fried chicken franchise owned by Hugo, otherwise known as Hurley, the show’s lovable, unassuming millionaire. As Hugo is probably my favorite character on the show and I’d already been planning to buy his bobblehead anyway, I decided to go ahead and bite. I put in my order, and then I put it out of my mind, since the bobbleheads don’t actually come out for another month or so.

But a few days later, I received a box in the mail. It was a box of a fairly decent size, nearly as big as a shoebox, but it contained one tiny keychain of about three inches in length, two inches from wingtip to wingtip. After I’d rolled my eyes over the excessive packaging, I examined my acquisition. I must not have been paying proper attention, since I was under the impression that this keychain would feature the Mr. Cluck’s logo of a smiling yellow chicken head, probably on a flat metal keychain. After all, the store sells Mr. Cluck’s t-shirts, and this is the design they use. If there was a picture of what the actual keychain looked like, I missed it.

So I was surprised when I realized that my chicken keychain had no specific connection to LOST. Instead, it came with a generic tag that reads “Mini Chicken n’ Egg Backpack Clip”. What’s more, aside from yellow coloring, this chicken bears no resemblance to the Mr. Cluck’s chicken.

This little bird is a three-dimensional, rubbery creature suspended from a metal chain with a clip on the end. It has a small red comb and wattle; I would take it to be a rooster, except that it has a strange mechanism whereby you squeeze the middle and a vaguely egg-like bubble pushes through a hole between the chicken’s legs. Depending on the angle at which it is pushed, this egg appears either yellow or milky white. I didn’t discover this feature immediately, and I initially found it rather novel, but upon further thought, it struck me as gross.

The chicken also features gangly, bright red feet that stick straight out, and there’s a reddish line going down the front, along with reddish coloring on the puny wings and tail. On its head is a pair of bright blue eyes with black dots for pupils. For the most part, though, this chicken is yellow, and it is covered in tiny bumps. It’s clammy to the touch; there are no feathers in sight, so this is evidently a dead chicken that has retained the skill of egg-laying. A zombie chicken, I suspect, which I suppose is appropriate for the final season of LOST, which has often been jokingly referred to as The Zombie Season. But I sure hope this stringy, undead, thoroughly hideous chicken is not indicative of what goes into Hugo’s chicken buckets. Gotta tell you, dude, that’s pretty poor advertising.

To top it all off, I noticed the other day that a two-dollar charge for this “free LOST keychain” had turned up on my card. I didn’t even request the chicken; I would imagine that some people would have gotten to check-out without realizing that this was a part of their order. Had I known that I would be charged an extra two dollars so they could unnecessarily ship it early, and had I realized that this keychain was so ugly that I would almost pay someone to take it off my hands, I certainly would have bought my bobble from Entertainment Earth instead. That’s what I get for being seduced by “freebies”. But that’s a complaint with the ABC store, not the manufacturer of this tiny terror.

If you know someone who has an irrational fear of chickens, perhaps this would make a morbid gag gift. Otherwise, I can’t recommend it, and certainly not for the going rate of nearly $4.50. If you hope to have a “cluckity-cluck day,” I suggest you seek out the company of more sophisticated fowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment