Sunday, November 15, 2009

Anne Murray Satisfies My Nostalgia With Christmas Wishes

There are dozens of Christmas albums I’ve listened to over the years, most of which I’ve found very enjoyable. One of the very first I remember clearly is Anne Murray’s Christmas Wishes. I can hear her Canadian songbird’s warm voice presiding over many a childhood tree-trimming, with the slight crackle of the record album contributing to the hazy ambiance. Just recently, I heard it again on CD; the music was clearer than ever, and I was transported...

1. Winter Wonderland - Nice country flavor to this one. Anne drops out in the middle for a rather generic chorus, but the verses are quite enjoyable.

2. Silver Bells - This was the first song I remember falling in love with, way back when I was about two years old. I love the brief piano intro, with the twangy guitars kicking in just before Anne starts singing. Her resonant vocals bring out all the rich nostalgic flavor of the song, and the back-up singers are a much more organic part of this track than the first.

3. Little Drummer Boy - A pretty basic version of this song about a boy with no possessions presenting a concert to the baby Jesus. Nice drums, and the fact that the speaker is male doesn’t detract from Anne’s rendition.

4. I'll Be Home For Christmas - I like the fact that Anne sings the introductory portion of this song, which is often omitted but which adds to the wistful flavor. Guitars are the most prominent instruments, but violins and piano add to the atmosphere. I could do without the choir toward the end, but it doesn’t detract from the track.

5. Christmas Wishes - I like this one because it’s the one nontraditional song on the album, and it has a very sincere air about it. A simple song that incorporates both goodwill and romance. “And if I could have three wishes / And if my first wish came true / There'd be peace on earth / Good will among men / And love in all that we do.”

6. Joy to the World - A piano-driven rendition that is one of my favorite versions of this song. It has a gospel feel to it that is enhanced when the choir joins in toward the end. The result is dynamic without getting out of control, as tends to happen with some versions of this song.

7. Away in a Manger - This is an interesting take on this very simple carol because Anne sings both of the traditional melodies, using the less common melody for the first and third verses and the Sunday school version for the second verse and the repetition of the first.

8. O Holy Night - This was one of the first versions of this song I ever heard, so I’m rather partial to it. Like the rest of her album, it’s fairly understated; you won’t hear her doing oodles of runs, and the harmonies of the backing chorus add just the right touch to the song’s most dramatic moments.

9. Go Tell It on the Mountain - There’s a nice bluesy feel to this track, and I imagine her swaying to the music as she sings. The lively choir serves as a reminder of this song’s use as a civil rights anthem.

10. Silent Night - A guitar accompanies Anne in this respectful rendition of the beloved carol. Some really lovely harmonies in the second and third verses help end the album on a note reminiscent of a candlelit Christmas Eve service, and Anne’s spoken “Merry Christmas” at the end is a nice touch.

Because of this album’s prominence in my own early Christmas celebrations, I have a great nostalgic attachment to this album, but even if you lack such associations, for lovers of classy holiday albums, Anne Murray’s Christmas Wishes is a wish come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment