Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mount Doom Frodo Is Glad to Be With Samwise Gamgee

When I went to Massachusetts in June, one of the souvenirs I brought home was the Mount Doom Sam figure that I found in Harrison’s Comic Book shop in Salem. I found it hard to resist the stalwart hobbit who bravely bellowed, “I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you!” I brought him home and gave him a place of honor on the piano. But something seemed to be missing. Where was the object of Samwise’s loyalty? When I discovered that this Sam figure had a specific complement, one who perched precariously on a rock grazed by molten lava and whispered, “I’m glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things,” I decided that if I ever found myself a few dollars short of the magic $25 mark on Amazon, I’d use Mount Doom Frodo to make up the difference. I didn’t have to wait too long.

July brought with it a new album from Celtic Thunder, my favorite musical discovery of the past year, as well as news that my old friends Simon and Garfunkel had recently released an album culled from concerts in 1969. When I saw that Amazon was offering both at half-price, I knew there was no point in delaying my order, and Frodo gave me just the boost I needed to push it into free shipping territory. Now I have Frodo and Sam standing together on the piano, solemnly surveying the living room.

Like Sam, Frodo has 29 points of articulation. Wrists, ankles, elbows, knees, neck… You name it, it’s moveable. Clearly this is designed to be a fully functional toy rather than just a display piece. As a result, Frodo looks a little clunkier than he would with less articulation, especially around the upper legs, but I’d say it’s a worthwhile trade-off. Frodo’s skin is grimy, and his feet are covered in hobbitish hair. The hair on his head is wavy and the same dark shade of brown, and the expression on his face looks vaguely melancholy. Frodo wears a dingy button-up shirt of a light brownish-off-white color. The top button is unbuttoned, and the Ring on the chain is clearly visible. His pants are dark brown with matching suspenders. None of the clothes are removable, nor is the Ring, and while Sam carries the dagger Sting, Frodo has no weapon to brandish.

Like Sam, Frodo stands about four and a half inches tall, though his base is a bit taller than Sam’s. The color of the rock is a bit darker, and to the side is a puddle of fiery red lava threatening to engulf a smaller rock. Each of Frodo’s feet has a hole in the bottom, allowing them to fit onto the pegs on the base. Sam fits more easily onto the pegs than Frodo does, but with a little persuasion he’ll stay put. Of course, it’s also the base that has the built-in sound chip, triggered by pushing in a knob of rock on the front. Sam has two lines, but Frodo has just the one. I can’t complain much about that, since it’s my favorite of Frodo’s lines in the movie, but Elijah Wood’s whispery delivery makes him a little harder to understand than Sam. Nonetheless, it’s a great feature.

I recommend hanging onto the back of the package, which gives instructions on how to work Frodo, including how to install the three LR44 button cell batteries. The little write-up is nice too, though I think the writer of the paragraph-long description could have done with a quick refresher course on the importance of agreement of tenses. Also, given the quote and the base, it seems he should be described as stumbling down the slopes of Mount Doom instead of up.

On the whole, I think I prefer the Sam figure, but Frodo is still a great likeness, and it seems fitting to reunite the two determined questers at the final stage of their journey. Prices on Amazon fluctuate, but I think I paid seven dollars for mine, which is half of what I paid for Sam. (That’ll teach me that Amazon is usually the best place to go; Sam is about the same price there as Frodo is.) If you’re a fan of Lord of the Rings, especially the movies, Mount Doom Frodo is a great catch, especially in tandem with Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment