Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson's You Are Not Alone - A Plea For and Promise of Companionship

By the time 1995 rolled around, Michael Jackson was on the verge of being less triumphant King of Pop than defeated king of tabloid fodder. Amid the turmoil and scandal surrounding him that year, he released You Are Not Alone, a song of love and friendship specifically about his marriage with Lisa Marie Presley. More generically, it made a perfect bookend to 1993 mega-hit Will You Be There. The first was a plea; though the second begins that way, it evolves into a promise.

I've been listening to a lot of Michael Jackson's songs since the news of his death hit yesterday, and I'm coming to realize that the theme of yearning for a genuine connection with another runs deep in his work, going all the way back to I'll Be There and Ben. The Stand By Me / Lean On Me category of music is one that almost always yields songs I love, from Bridge Over Troubled Water and You've Got a Friend to Candle on the Water and You've Got a Friend in Me, so Michael Jackson is in good company here.

In general, I find that Jackson's songs are best enjoyed as audio-visual experiences. He was a true pioneer of the music video, and it's generally a joy to watch him. In this case, however, I'd tend to opt for the purely audio version. The video feels uncomfortably intimate, filled with close-ups on Michael's soulful eyes and semi-bare chest, which by this point in his career was eerily pale. He's not doing any dancing, really, and the shots of him and Lisa Marie together seem oddly voyeuristic, as though he wanted to allow the world a peek into his life to assure everyone he was a part of a happy, healthy marriage.

I was never quite convinced. I remember watching an interview with Jackson and Presley around this time; he seemed embarrassed, she seemed hostile, and the whole thing was very awkward. That same strange tension seems to run through the video despite the outward appearances of happiness - though part of that could just be me reading into things in retrospect, knowing a divorce soon followed.

I don't get any of that when I simply listen to the song, however. At that point, it becomes just another worthy ode to friendship. The accompaniment is pretty simple, with keyboards and mellow adult-contemporary-appropriate percussion. The song has a lovely melody that Michael sings in a pretty straightforward, low-key manner, up until the last two minutes or so of the song, which resembles the conclusion of Will You Be There in that a choir takes over the main melody line, with Michael interjecting with earnest outbursts. As often is the case, the chorus gets quite a workout; over and over, especially toward the end, we hear the basic refrain: "You are not alone, for I am here with you. Though you're far away, I am here to stay. But you are not alone, for I am here with you. Though we're far apart, you're always in my heart. But you are not alone."

It's certainly not one of his more innovative songs. Of all his hits, I'd say this is probably the most generic. But it's a sweet song nonetheless, the kind of thing I would be happy to stumble upon while tuning into Delilah on a relaxing evening. It's not my favorite ballad of its kind, but as glimpse into Michael's soul at one of the most difficult times in his life, You Are Not Alone is especially moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment