Thursday, April 2, 2009

Inclement Weather Brings People Together in Twister

In honor of National Poetry Month, I've decided to try writing some reviews in rhymed verse.  My second attempt is of the 1996 movie Twister, an action-packed flick starring Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton as estranged spouses thrown together in pursuit of a terrifying tornado.  The special effects still look pretty impressive to me after 13 years - though I suspect flying cows will always look a bit silly...  I love that the movie features two actors from LOST (Jeremy Davies and Sean Whalen), a show which, like Twister, makes repeated reference to The Wizard of Oz, and that Philip Seymour Hoffman again manages to steal the show every time he's in a scene.  Tornadoes have always freaked me out, so I wasn't all that interested in seeing this, but I'm glad I did.

Twister
A twister is a brutal bit of weather
That leaves a trail of chaos in its wake.
If one touched down near me, my plan would be to flee,
So chasing one would cause my limbs to quake.

But Dr. Harding has her act together.
This scientist will Hunt, as well she should.
Determined to be brave if there's a chance to save
The helpless, she works for the greater good.

Her passion got its start with childhood trauma.
She's felt the terror of a Level Five,
And sometimes, in her dreams, she still can hear her screams
As Daddy died ensuring she'd survive.

It's almost vengeance, then, that drives the drama
Of seeking storms of monstrous appetite.
And now the moment's here.  The gale of her career
Is just about to roar into her sight.

She has her faithful science team behind her,
A band of geeks (and future castaways)
Who thrive upon this thrill.  Her erstwhile husband, Bill,
And his new love turn up now, of all days.

As if the doctor needed a reminder
Of her obsession's unrelenting cost!
But thrown into the fray, can Bill honestly say
That he feels no regret for what he lost?

A romance is rekindled through the danger,
And in the trenches, comedy is found
As Hoffman leads the pack in keeping smiles intact
While homes are swiftly lifted from the ground.

Though Michael Crichton's movies have been stranger,
The chance of cloning dinos is remote,
While killer twisters are a greater threat by far.
What's scarier?  I think this gets my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment