Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Let These Seven Peek-a-Poohs Decorate Your Home

Several years ago, my mom and I stumbled upon Tomy's Peek-a-Pooh line of vending machine toys at a local KMart. I collected a number of them from various machines around town until it occurred to me that perhaps I could make things easier on myself and buy them by the set online. As it happened, I was right. Most of the sets are inexpensive, and it's a whole lot easier than trying to snag one of each from a vending machine. One of the sets I was drawn to was the tenth, the series of seven Christmas-themed Poohs. I knew that come December, I'd be making good use of them.

Peek-a-Poohs are tiny plastic Winnie-the-Pooh figures, about one and a half inches tall, wearing costumes that follow a certain theme, depending on the set. Occasionally, other characters are incorporated as well, but most Peek-a-Poohs only feature the silly old bear. Some of them stand flat, while others are designed only to dangle. Many people use them as cell phone decorations, but each can hang from any type of hook or knob that will accommodate the golden thread suspending it. When I put mine out as part of our Christmas decorations, I hung them on the knobs of the kitchen cabinets, where they fit perfectly.

There are seven figures in this set, which is a bit of an unusual number; most sets have six or eight figures. While the possibilities for Christmas-related costumes certainly are not exhausted within these pieces, there's a nice variety of figures here. Four of them stand freely. There's the poinsettia, which features a smiling Pooh peeking out from the center of a potted poinsettia plant. He's stretched out and grinning in a bright green present, and he's winking as he heads down the chimney as Santa Claus.

Finally, the Yule log is brown on the bottom and white on the top, and it looks as though Pooh is fast asleep, stretched out cozily inside his costume. (I particularly enjoy this one because it reminds me of the song my brother and his friend used to sing in French class to the tune of the carol Chantez Noel: "Zut! Je m'appelle Bouche de Noel!" Which means something to the effect of "Darn! My name is Yule Log Cake!" Doesn't make much sense, but it always got them giggling!)

The less self-sufficient figures include the stocking, which has a laughing Pooh with closed eyes peering out from within a red stocking overflowing with gifts; a wreath with a large red bow, in which a Pooh who is either singing or is very surprised peers open-mouthed from the center; and a pale blue star decorated with tiny, dark blue stars, in which Pooh's expansively smiling face appears in the middle. This one looks especially nice as a dangling decoration.

Cabinets are only one possibility for where these could hang. They could go on the banister or be hung from lamps. Naturally, they could also be suspended from the branches of a Christmas tree. If you're an especially avid Pooh fan, it might be worth it to purchase a small artificial tree just for your Peek-a-Poohs. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to display mine year-round.

This nice little set only set me back about six dollars, and if you're looking to buy several at once, you can save quite a bit on shipping costs. This particular set may be best displayed toward the end of the year, but it's never too early to start getting ready for the next December!

No comments:

Post a Comment