Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Squirrelly Crickle-Crack Aims to Keep Kids Off Crack

Last week, I took part in the yearly tradition of going to the city-wide book sale and diving through tables piled with a hopelessly disorganized assortment of books in hopes of discovering a few buried treasures. I always seem to leave with an overflowing box, half of whose contents I will probably never get around to reading. But among those randomly selected titles, there are usually a few especially notable finds. Past examples include A Boy, a Dog and a Frog, which turned me on to the charming six-book series of wordless books by Little Critter creator Mercer Mayer; Anguished English, a collection of hilariously tortured sentences and paragraphs; and an early edition of Fellowship of the Ring containing a warning from Tolkien not to purchase unauthorized versions.

When I saw the cover of Crickle-Crack, bearing the unmistakable mark of a Serendipity book and featuring a squirrel, which is arguably my favorite animal, I suspected I might have found this year's winner. Back in the days when my idea of reading consisted of looking at the pictures and making up my own story, I had a considerable collection of the distinctive morality tales by Stephen Cosgrove, irresistibly illustrated by Robin James, but I don't recall encountering this one before. Having been drawn in by my familiarity with the series and affection for the animal on the front, I read the note at the bottom of the cover: "It's important to know when to say 'no'." Even better! I thought, expecting a lesson in assertiveness along the lines of Sherman Crunchley, the Laura Numeroff book about a doormat dog who finds a creative way to tell his father he doesn't want to take over as sheriff.

It soon became clear that the lesson within wouldn't be quite as applicable to my life as I'd thought. Rather than being a story about the need for gumption, it's a tale of temptation. It bears a considerable resemblance to the biblical account of Adam and Eve, since Squeakers, the bushy-tailed protagonist, falls into trouble when a mysterious voice calls for him to eat the buds on the Crickle-Crack tree. The lesson isn't so much about obeying authority as it is avoiding things that may look attractive but are actually dangerous and detrimental. Though it doesn't come right out and say it, the predominant purpose of the book seems to be to steer kids away from drugs, with the friendly reminder on the cover recalling Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign from the late 80s, which is when this book was published.

When Squeakers comes upon the tree, which grows in "twisted profusion" in a semi-hidden part of the forest, he decides to see for himself whether these buds are so dangerous. After his first taste, he is disappointed to find the bud unsatisfying, but a sense of euphoria kicks in shortly thereafter, and he decides to skip school and binge on the buds, with disastrous results. The story is pretty straight-forward, the message heavy-handed, but then that is true of all of the books in this series. As a fable encouraging certain behavior from children, it seems to hit the mark pretty well. It's the illustrations that really grab me, though, with almost every page depicting the furry gray squirrel with enormous brown, shining eyes, a fluffy tail and a cheeky grin. Of course, he's not always smiling; we see the effects of the Crickle-crack buds in a couple of rather disturbing pictures, particularly one in which his parents help him home from school as he stands woozily, a sickly frown on his face and bags under his eyes.

I'm not sure if Crickle-Crack is quite the catch those books in the first paragraph were. But I still get a kick out of this charming squirrel, and while I don't think I'm in much danger of becoming addicted to drugs any time soon, this story provides a healthy reminder of the dangers of temptation, so perhaps it was a serendipitous find after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment