Monday, March 19, 2007

This Sunny Collaboration Between John Denver and Christopher Canyon Makes Me Happy

It's hard to believe it's been nearly a decade since John Denver took that ill-fated flight on the LONG E-Z and robbed the world of years of his genius. I'm hoping that somehow I'll manage to get out to Aspen this October for the tenth-anniversary event celebrating his life, his music and the impact both have made on the world. Meanwhile, I have his songs to enjoy, and thanks to Christopher Canyon, there are three of them that I can embrace in a whole new way.

I first discovered these books last year when I was searching for a birthday gift for a friend of mine who happens to be a fellow John Denver fan. When I saw Sunshine On My Shoulders, I knew I had found a perfect present for my friend, whose disposition is as sunny as the California skies under which she resides. This anthem of friendship is a particular favorite of my mom; not only is it a lovely song on which the warmth and richness of Denver's voice especially shines, but my dad wrote the lyrics on the back of one of the first photographs he took of her. I come from such a family of romantics...

The book begins with a quote by Denver: "Music makes pictures and often tells stories, all of it magic and all of it true. / and all of the pictures and all of the stories, and all of the magic, the music is you." This is written around a circular hole in the paper, around the border of which are rays of sunlight. Inside the hole is the child who is the focus of this book, along with her black cat, a mouse and a man with a guitar, glasses and a straw hat. I assume this man is her father, but the book never really says for sure, since its only text is the lyrics of the song.

At any rate, this page gives us an introduction to the characters and to the philosophy behind the series. This verse is included in all three Canyon / Denver collaborations, both within the book and on the accompanying CD. I like the idea it conveys, though I find its execution to be rather annoying. The title song is better, though I'm disappointed in the sparse piano arrangement, which fails to capture the dappled beauty of a sunny day like the saxophone-drenched Wildlife Concert version, which is my favorite rendition of this song. Another nice inclusion is sheet music for this song, which takes up the last actual page of the book.

I really like the font of this book, which is earthy and spreads its way through the pages in sprightly swirls. I can't pinpoint the exact typeface, and the book doesn't tell us, but it complements the overall 70s vibe. The lettering is light brown, to go with all the natural tones in the illustrations, and very large, since there are usually ten or fewer words to a page. We get lots of green and brown in the pictures but especially yellow, with that sunshine casting a warm glow over every illustration.

My grandma has a poster in a guest room featuring a long-haired, wide-eyed girl playing the guitar against a bright yellow backdrop while her cat looks on. I'm pretty sure it's from the 70s, and the style of this book's illustrations remind me very much of that poster, though the girl here is much younger and has an Afro, and since she's running around in shorts and a t-shirt with a sun on it, there's little to distinguish her as a girl at all. It's more of an educated guess on my part, based on the eyelashes, than an absolute certainty. But she's a charming character, and she wanders through the book's idyllic, retro locales, playing the guitar, enjoying the company of swamp-dwelling creatures such as ducks and frogs, swinging in a breeze, blowing on a dandelion. It's a book steeped in the beauty of nature, which is appropriate given the passion of both Denver and Canyon and the mission of Dawn Publications of "inspiring in children a deeper understanding and appreciation for all life on Earth."

Children and adults alike can bask in the beauty of this celebration of life's simple pleasures written by a man who seemed to appreciate them more than most. Canyon is a worthy collaborator, bringing Denver's words to vibrant life, and I hope the partnership continues. There are probably dozens of Denver songs that would make good picture books. Sunshine On My Shoulders is especially well suited to this format, though, and if you're a Denver fan or just an admirer of life's most uncomplicated joys, you should have a look. This "Sunshine almost always makes me high"; hopefully it will do the same for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment