Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Zach Braff Becomes the Only Living Boy in Jersey...

There are lots of reasons I watch certain movies. Some are probably more legitimate than others. For better or worse, though, one major motivation for me to see a film is prior knowledge that the soundtrack includes Simon and Garfunkel. When a movie slips in one of those songs unexpectedly, it elevates the whole experience, so when I'm given a little advance warning, I take advantage of it. I decide that this is not a movie to miss. And usually I am rewarded for my efforts.

Garden State owes a great debt to The Graduate, the most Simon and Garfunkel-heavy movie of them all. When I finally saw that classic about post-college malaise and discontent with a shallow upper middle-class lifestyle, I had years of hype to go on, and I came away disappointed. But several viewings later, I have come to appreciate much more what a remarkable movie it is. Such is the case with Garden State, a thematically similar film about floundering in one's mid-twenties. Having recently re-watched it, I've grown into a deeper respect for the movie - and Zach Braff, who wrote, directed and starred in it, all at the ripe old age of not-much-older-than-me.

He plays Andrew Largeman, a wannabe actor who wanders through life in a daze of over-medication, thanks to the intervention of his father (Ian Holm), who happens to be a doctor. Andrew's been away from home for ten years, having been sent off to school and never returned, but he's back for the funeral of his mother, whose paralysis years earlier was his fault, or so he has grown up believing. Awkwardly detached from everything that happens around him, he goes through the motions in dealing with relatives at the reception; his pathetic interaction with his aunt that results in the donning of a shirt that matches the wallpaper in the upstairs bathroom is reminiscent of Ben's chat with the "plastics" promoter in The Graduate. He's no more animated when he gets together with his old high school chums; while they party hearty, doped up on ecstasy, he sits on the couch and lets everything happen around him.

Then something changes. He meets Sam (Natalie Portman), a free-spirited girl who lives with her mother, an African student and a massive menagerie of pets. Sam is a compulsive liar, so Andrew's never sure of the veracity of any of her claims, and she's as uninhibited as he is perpetually uncomfortable, so theirs is not the most natural of pairings, but it's a fortuitous one, since she is able to remind him that life can be beautiful, even - maybe especially - in its least significant moments.

The lesson is cemented when the two join Andrew's friend Mark (Peter Sarsgaard) for a wild goose chase to some unknown destination with some mysterious purpose. None too happy initially about spending his last day in town ramming around on some strange errand, Andrew eventually finds inspiration in the trek - and realizes the depth of Mark's friendship, even as his days-old relationship with Sam blossoms.

The acting is solid all around, with a radiant Portman and Hoffman-esque Braff backed up by sardonic Sarsgaard, along with a trio of parents displaying varying degrees of dysfunction. The inclusion of a cast member from Lord of the Rings is another automatic movie elevator for me, so despite the brevity of Holm's role, I enjoy it. And Braff's taste in music is nothing to turn up your nose at, especially the stirring The Only Living Boy in New York, which comes at a rather surprising point in the movie, particularly considering that there actually is a scene in which Andrew prepares to catch a flight, leaving Sam all alone again in New Jersey. That would have been the obvious place to stick such a song, but in its new context, it takes on a different but no less thought-provoking connotation.

Back when Garden State came out, a co-worker of mine told me it was the best movie of the year. I don't know if I'd go that far. But I doff my hat to Braff and company for a job well done; he's welcome to swing by and give me a few pointers any time...

No comments:

Post a Comment