Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Nobody Celebrates a Birthday Quite Like Sesame Street!

Up until last year, we had a library down the street from my house. When I was little, we were frequent visitors to that institution, and I’m afraid we took slight liberties with our borrowing privileges. By the time I was in elementary school, I had a large collection of tapes that had been copied from records and cassettes taken out of the library. The downside to all this free music was that the tapes didn’t hold up very well, and I am only in possession of a couple of them today. Happy Birthday from Sesame Street somehow managed to survive. From what I can gather, it was just recently re-released; in previous searches I was never able to find it available for purchase. It remains one of my favorite Muppet-related albums, and I still pull it out and listen to it now and then.

The album contains almost as much dialogue as music and could have been a televised special, though I’m not aware that it was. I suppose it may be more suited to audio, though, because of the direct address format. One could just say that the residents of Sesame Street are celebrating the birthday of an unnamed friend who never speaks throughout the whole production, but it seems what they really intend is for the listener to be the friend whose birthday is being celebrated. Accordingly, much of the album is interactive, as it gives the listener a glimpse of what’s happening with different characters during the party and often invites participation.

Happy Birthday From Sesame Street gets things rolling, establishing the occasion and the guests who will be popping up again later. Each guest presents the birthday child with a special wish, continuing in the style of The 12 Days of Christmas and other such listing songs. Calm, leaderly Bob, Maria and David come up with wishes that are generic but well-meaning while Big Bird, Bert, Ernie, Oscar and Cookie Monster offer more personalized felicitations. It’s a joyous opener that settles us firmly on Sesame Street.

I can’t find it on the track list, but Little Bit Older should go here. It’s a nice little song led by Bob in which several Sesame Streeters reflect on the differences that come with another birthday. They can’t be too bad, though, because the singers declare that “every year we like you even more.”

A Cat Had a Birthday is a jazzy little number that encourages the listener to join in. David, who departed from the Street (and this world) years ago, leads this simple but groovin’ song about how different animals wish each other a happy birthday. Rather along the lines of Old McDonald Had a Farm.

A Very Unhappy Birthday to You is possibly my favorite song on the album. Like Oscar’s more famous I Love Trash, this song is a litany of broken, dirty, unsavory things, all of which make a grouch’s birthday very unhappy indeed – but hey, for a grouch, that’s happy! So don’t be offended when he croons, “May the presents that you get make you angry and upset.”

Musical Chairs is led by Maria and Big Bird. This is perhaps the most interactive of the games; you can actually play this track as the backdrop to a game of musical chairs. It’s very repetitive, of course, just the same chorus again and again reminding you to keep walking around the chairs until the music stops. I actually played this at my thirteenth birthday party. I probably lost, too…

When Will My Birthday Come? is a soft lament by poor unloved little Grover, who was not invited to the birthday party. This is a crushing blow to such an affable monster, but he tries to pretend it doesn’t bother him. What results is a reflection on Grover’s desire to have a birthday all his own when everyone will gather to tell him that he’s special. “It seems like there are so many days; there must be a day for me.” It’s a bit reminiscent of Eeyore’s famous forgotten birthday. Oddly, though, we get the impression that Grover has never had a birthday in his life, and that clearly can’t be the case. He must just have a short memory… Anyway, never fear, because tears cannot last long on Sesame Street, and the song ends on a happy note for Grover.

Put a Cookie in My Mouth, like Musical Chairs, is an actual playable party game. This variation on Pin the Tail on the Donkey is tailored to the gluttonous blue monster as he encourages players to attach cookies to his mouth on a giant picture of his face. I recently played a similar game at a baby shower, except in this instance it was a pacifier. The song goes through several players’ turns until finally Cookie is satisfied with one player getting the cookie exactly where it ought to be.

Blow Out the Candles features Bob again, and I’m afraid I find this one a bit of a snoozer. Good old steady, dependable Bob… but he’s just a bit boring. Still, it’s a pretty song encouraging the listener to make that all-important birthday wish in whatever way seems best; whatever the preferred wishing method, Bob is eager to impart the blessing “may all you wish for come true.”

Everyone Likes Ice Cream is my other favorite track, featuring a group of young Muppets. It turns out that each of them is very different, but there is one vital thing that they can agree on. This is a fun tune whose verses reveal a bit about the characters involved. The song celebrates diversity while finding common ground and reminds me of a book my grandma had (and, I presume, still does) at her house in which a bear and a mouse become friends but cannot agree on anything to do together until they discover their mutual love of ice cream. “Search the whole world over, travel near and far, but everyone likes ice cream, no matter who they are.” They won’t find a detractor to their theory in me!

Birthday Rhyme Game features Big Bird and Maria again. This game, the only one that is not sung, is also interactive with a series of unfinished rhymes that the listener has to try to figure out. Big Bird is almost annoyingly dopey in this one, forever forgetting that the missing word is supposed to rhyme. I guess that’s to make the kids feel smart…

Thanks for the Party brings the album full circle with an upbeat number that once again gathers everyone and collects their impressions of the party. Each character makes a comment, with the humans again setting the structure but the Muppets providing the more interesting remarks. I think Oscar’s cantankerous commentary amuses me most, and I wouldn’t mind at all if he were to tell me mine was “the yuckiest birthday party since I can’t remember when.”

All in all, this is a solid album with lots of fun tracks. Its intended audience is towards the younger end of the scale, but older audiences can appreciate it as well. I certainly do.

No comments:

Post a Comment