Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Very Unfortunate Events Very Good Reading

I had some time to kill after work today, so I decided to stop by the mall library and see if I could plop down with a good book for a couple of hours. Several years ago, my aunt introduced me to the deliciously dry wit of Lemony Snicket, and after reading the first installment of The Series of Unfortunate Events I vowed the rest would soon follow. Alas, though I continued to identify myself as a fan of the series, I never got around to reading the second book, let alone the remainder of the volumes. What I did read, inappropriately as I soon discovered, was the Unauthorized Autobiography. After an introductory chapter that, along with the cover, had me shaking with laughter, I found I had no idea what was going on. The book made no sense whatsoever and I decided I would have to give it a shot again once I’d read considerably further into the series. Because the library happened to have the second chronicle, The Reptile Room, handy, I am now on my way.

This second installment is as quick and enjoyable a read as the first. Well, perhaps not quite as enjoyable, since Snicket has to go and introduce us to the cuddly bundle of fun that is Dr. Montgomery Montgomery (aka Uncle Monty), only to kill him off halfway through the book. This tragic incident comes as no surprise, as nearly every time Uncle Monty appears in the book the narrator reminds the reader of his untimely demise, but it is still most unfortunate when it happens as he is the most likable character to grace the series thus far. Delightfully eccentric and boundlessly kind, he provides the children with an all-too-brief oasis in their vast desert of doom.

The Baudelaire orphans behave precisely the same in this novel as they did in A Bad Beginning. Violet thinks up inventions, tying up her hair in a ribbon every time she must think especially hard. Klaus reads books, quickly becoming an expert on the subject of snakes and Peruvian terrain. And Sunny bites things. She also, in this novel, makes the acquaintance of the Incredibly Deadly Viper, who turns out to be almost as interesting a character in his own way as Uncle Monty. Rounding out the cast are Mr. Poe, the well-meaning but useless manager of the Baudelaires’ affairs; Stephano, Uncle Monty’s new assistant who the children immediately discover to be Count Olaf; and Dr. Lucafont, the somewhat unsettling doctor who arrives to perform an autopsy on Uncle Monty.

Although my brother has a tendency to dislike novels, I think I’ll keep this one around for him as he shares the same fondness Uncle Monty does for reptiles, particularly snakes. The Reptile Room itself is a glorious collection of reptiles, most of which do not actually exist but are wonderfully imaginative. In addition, he loves Snicket’s skewered sense of humor. As much as I enjoy the exploits of the orphans, I attribute the success of the series to the amalgamation of Snicket’s dry wit and etymological obsession. I find it hard to imagine that the movies can truly capture the essence of these books when the best part is the author commentary, which is not only amusing but educational as well. I walked away with a couple of new words myself, including “brummagem,” a lovely term for “fake.” I also was afforded a reminder of C. S. Lewis’ admonitions about shutting oneself in a wardrobe when I read Snicket’s shockingly accentuated warning against fooling around with electrical sockets.

Although I was very disappointed to see such a wonderful character as Uncle Monty disappear so quickly, such is the way of this series, and I’ve got the bug to read the rest in the near future. Then maybe I can tackle that autobiography again…

No comments:

Post a Comment