Thursday, February 26, 2004

BoohBah Beats Teletubbies Hands-Down for Freakiness

I didn’t think children’s programming could get any weirder than Teletubbies. Then I had the pleasure of being introduced to Boohbah, a brainchild of Teletubbies creator Anne Wood. I first found out about this show a few months ago and found the description perplexing. Now that I’ve seen it, my initial impression holds. I just don’t get it. The Teletubbies were strange enough. The stars of this show are similarly brightly colored creatures that could best be described as giant gumdrops with Kewpie doll heads. A prominent feature of those heads is the eyes, whose eyeballs click backward, then forward, then back to center when one of the BoohBahs wishes to express emotion. This movement is accompanied by the lighting up of their electronic eyebrows. Most often, the eye trick seems to coincide with a sense of surprise or confusion, but it’s one of the few means of communication these creatures display.

Together, the blobs make up a colorful ball that goes bouncing around through the sky leaving rainbows in its wake. They awaken from their slumber when the children on the show call them by name: Humbah (Yellow), Zing Zing Zingbah (Orange), Jumbah (Blue), Zumbah (Purple), JingBah (Pink). This begs the question, what’s so special about the orange guy that he gets two extra syllables? Nothing that I can see; none of them seems to have any kind of a distinctive personality. They don’t even speak, other than to sing a series of “boo”s that, rather like the much more engaging Care Bear Stare, eventually produce a rainbow. They float and they spin and they dance around clumsily, and apparently this is supposed to encourage young children to be more active.

Of course, the BoohBahs are not the only characters on the show. There’s a host of children who call the Boohbahs into life, blow objects into Story World and proclaim “Look what I can do!” before engaging in a very boring and repetitive physical activity. There are the Story World inhabitants as well: the uncreatively named paper cutouts Grandmama, Grandpapa, Brother, Sister, Auntie, Little Dog Fido, Mrs. Lady and Mr. Man. Their adventures are chronicled by a narrator who actually reminded me a bit of Ringo in his stint as the conductor on Thomas the Tank Engine. I found him the least annoying part of the show, but it was balanced out by the exaggerated manner in which the Story World actors react to their situation. I guess it’s not so different from what Mr. Noodle does on Elmo’s World, but I find him a lot easier to take.

I don’t know what to think. Maybe I’m just too out of touch with my 3-year-old self to get the beauty of this show, but I am a person who generally appreciates and enjoys children’s programming. What I found in this show was a plotless wasteland with enough flashing lights and colors to make my head spin. It gave me a headache and made me wonder whether somebody slipped something into my breakfast cereal. I think my dog got more out of the show than I did; at one point Brother and Sister went bouncing around on the beach in big squeaky socks that sounded just like her squeaky teddy bear, and she ran to the TV to see what was up. I’d hardly consider that a convincing endorsement. Of course, this show was not made for me, but I think of Sesame Street, Mister Rogers, Polka Dot Door, Reading Rainbow and Captain Kangaroo and can’t help but wonder where children’s television is going…

No comments:

Post a Comment