Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Yodel Your Heart Out with Disney Cowboy Songs

When I was little, I had a collection of children’s tapes copied from record albums borrowed from the library that I listened to over and over and over again. Pardners, known to me until recently as Disney Cowboy Songs, is one of the few that still survives. It is also one of my favorites.

I am not a huge fan of country music, though I often enjoy it and listen to it frequently on long drives through rural Pennsylvania when it appears on three out of four radio stations. I am, however, a big fan of western music, a distinction which can be made here. I’m a big fan of John Denver, Michael Martin Murphy, and others who may be best categorized as western, and an album full of cowboy songs certainly fits that mold. And, of course, I’m a sucker for Disney, so this album was a winning combination for me when I was five and still is today.

Deep in the Heart of Texas: A nice interactive song, with a man singing the verses while a chorus of children (perhaps Mouseketeers?) chime in on the choruses. I once saw a Gary Larson Halloween special in which a group of cowboys exposed an alien in their midst when he was unable to clap along to this song correctly. Luckily, I never had that trouble; I must be a cowgirl at heart!

Cowboy Mickey: This one’s an album original, a ballad lauding Mickey as “the bravest mouse the West has ever known.” Mickey, Donald and Goofy all make appearances here, as do Minnie as Mickey’s sweetheart and Pete as the ornery villain determined to steal her heart. The “ki-ki-yippees” are nice practice for some real yodeling in The Song of the Screamin’ Cowboy.

The Old Chisholm Trail: This classic also offers ample opportunity for some “ki-yi-yippie-yippie-ay-yippie-ays,” but it’s a fairly dull song and the yodels aren’t going to have a whole lot of heart either. It’s all very smooth and metered, and again the man takes the verses while the kids take the choruses. One of the flatter selections.

Ride ‘Em Cowboy: The Disney trio are back, with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy alternating verses with the man as they list the joys and drudgeries of cowboy life. Light-hearted and including a bit of back-and-forth banter among the characters, this is a fun song.

Home on the Range: The perennial classic, and one of the most boring songs on the album. The man sings it as slow as he possibly can, to the point of it sounding mournful. (I tip my hat to the Chipmunks for coming up with a version of this song that manages to be very entertaining. Alvin, being difficult as always, hams up his performance of the song while crooning about cantaloupes who play out on the range, much to Dave’s dismay. The boys tire of Dave’s ranting before the song is complete, and they wander off to get themselves a cantaloupe. “That’s a dear little somethin’ to eat,” explains Simon, skewering Dave’s explanation of the difference between antelopes and cantaloupes. Classic.)

The Song of the Screamin' Cowboy: “Bury me thar with my battered guitar, / screamin’ my heart out fer you-hoo-hoo-hoo...” No question, this is my favorite, much to my brother’s displeasure. When I think of great yodeling songs, I usually think of John Denver (Calypso comes to mind first, which ironically has nothing to do with either mountains or cowboys). But first, I think of this old cowboy screaming his heart out for the gal he loves. This appears to be a Disney original; I read a comic book once in which Donald Duck had penned the tune, which had becomes a hit of Witch Doctor proportions. It’s both silly and sweet, and the voice is irresistible. Put on your best cowboy accent for this one and sing along. “The song of the screamin’ cowboy will haunt you all your days, / after I’ve kicked the bucket across them pearly gates...” The long string of yodels is made all the better by a Rockapella-esque treatment; the deep bass “yodel-odel-ay-he-hoos” are especially entertaining.

Partners: A sort of sappy song sung by one cowhand to another about how glad he is that they are partners. Their friendship has lasted through the ravages of time, and he is grateful. A slow and sweet song, it’s not at the top of my list, but it’s not at the bottom either.

Pecos Bill: A close second to The Song of the Screamin’ Cowboy. I don’t think Disney made this one up, but I could be wrong. Certainly it’s not the only song about Pecos Bill floating around. This upbeat tune described the folk hero in typical larger-than-life terms. “While reclinin’ on a cloud high over Texas, / with his gun he made the stars evaporate. / And when he saw those stars declinin’, / well, he left one brightly shinin’ / as the emblem of the Lone Star Texas State.” Once again there is also some pretty nifty yodeling. “Yippie-i-ay-i-ay, yippie-ie-oh-oh-oh-oh, for the toughest critter west of the Alamo.”

I'm An Old Cowhand (From The Rio Grande): Goofy is especially well equipped to sing this song about a misfit of a cowboy. He’s a happy fella, just not really what you might expect out of a guy who calls himself a cowhand. “I’m a cowboy who never saw a cow, / never roped a steer ‘cause I don’t know how, / and I sure ain’t fixin’ to start in now, yippie-ki-o-ki-ay.”

Git Along, Little Dogies: Another cowboy classic. Pretty straightforward; like most of the short and simple well-known tunes here, it’s fine but not very exciting.

A Cowboy Needs a Horse: Again Donald, Mickey, Goofy and the man trade off, and this time the kids join in. The song lists all of the things that a cowboy needs to survive but concludes that ultimately, a cowboy doesn’t need very much at all to make do in life.

Don't Fence Me In: Another one of my favorites, this is an upbeat song about a cowboy pleading to be allowed freedom from fences. “I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences, / gaze at the moon till I lose my senses, / I can't look at hovels and I can't stand fences. / Don't fence me in.”

Donald Duck, the Wrangler: I wonder if Donald’s feeling gypped that his song is the second-to-last in the album? Donald’s infamous temper is put to good use in this amusing song, where he is pinned as more of a villain than a hero. “You’ve never heard a more discouraging word / than when Donald Duck the Wrangler is about.”

Happy Trails: The perfect ending to the album, this gentle classic leaves the listener with a blessing and an invitation to return to the album whenever they want, which, for me, at least, is often. “Happy trails to you until we meet again.”

It may not be the most sophisticated album out there, but it is satisfying. So go out and grab a copy for your little cowboy, or the little cowboy you once were. You’ll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment