Tuesday, April 17, 2001

Behrend Was My School Long Before I Was a Student

Penn State Behrend has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My dad has taught at this college my whole life, so I wandered around the campus many times as a child. The grand sloping hill behind the Behrend Science Building was a favorite sledding spot. I frequented the pool by the Glenhill Farmhouse, which is no longer used, during many a hot summer. I still tramp around in the creek with my family, my dog running back and forth to be sure that we're following her. So I knew long before I began to attend school here that the scenery couldn't be beat.

But great scenery does not make a great school. Behrend has a lot more going for it than babbling brooks and squirrel-filled trees. It has a cozy atmosphere where students can get to know one another. There are about 3,800 students here, and most classes contain an average of 20 or 30 students. The teachers here are very helpful and willing to meet with students outside of class. In class, most of the teachers I've had have been engaging and knowledgeable. The college consists of four Schools -- Business, Engineering, Science, and Humanities -- and each major within those schools is filled with stimulating required classes and teachers who really want the students to succeed.

There are over 75 clubs at Behrend, ranging from service organizations to gaming clubs to theatrical groups to student government to campus ministry. Whatever your interests are, you're sure to find something right up your alley at Behrend. We've also got lots of special events and speakers. In the past couple years, we've had such guests as comedian Al Franken, musician Ellis Marsalis, and poet Stephen Dunn. We are about to welcome Shaggy for a concert. Details on upcoming events and much more can be found in our nifty newspaper, the Behrend Beacon.

Students looking for a place to hang out can go to Bruno's, which is hailed as "Behrend's nightclub". Well, that's a stretch, but it is a very nice little cafe, named after Ernst Behrend's dog, where students can watch tv as they munch on a piece of pizza or a chicken wrap.

It takes about ten minutes to walk from one end of campus to the other, and the newly built Athletic and Recreation Center (ARC) is just across the street. There are computer kiosks in the Academic Building and Reed, which is where Bruno's is located. Also in the Academic Building is the library, where there is an actual computer lab. Another lab is located in the Hammermill building on the other end of campus.

One frustrating thing about Behrend for many has been the lack of adequate parking space, but the school continues to strive for improvements in that regard. All in all, Behrend is a great school with dedicated teachers and a comfy atmosphere. You may be able to transfer to State College after two years, but I'm staying right here until I graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment